Sunday, August 9, 2009

Batty for Banhart and Dotty for Dukoff...Oh Yeah, I Said It




All photos care of LA Times, copyright Lauren Dukoff

I saw these photos in the LA Times this morning and I went nuts. They're amazing, and that's coming from someone who was never a big fan of Devendra Banhart. It's not that I didn't like his music, it was just that it didn't really move me in either direction. But that was before I new about how stylish he was. Eeeevvvverrything's different now. 

These photos remind me of the Avedon portraits of Andy Warhol's Factory Family, in a way. They represent a group of artists creating a world for themselves, a community. With as much style as possible. I love the way these photos look, as if from another time, and I love the clothes, and the ideas, and the crazy people. I love that they've all known each other for years. Dukoff, the photographer, went to high school with Devendra.

I don't know. It's hard to explain. But don't these pictures speak for themselves?

PS: Go check out Banhart's website - I just did and it's so much fun! (Just to give you an idea, there is a Devendra Banhart interactive paper doll.)

*NB: Again, the photos have been cropped to fit the post, which is very irritating and I can't figure out how to fix it other than tedious resizing in photoshop before hand, which I don't have time for. Just click on 'em. If anyone can tell me how to make them stop cropping, please let me know!

No comments: