Monday, August 3, 2009

The Sea Gypsy


A friend of mine came across this poem by Richard Hovey ,originally published sometime in the late 19th century, in a book of children's poetry from the forties, and she wrote it down. She read it aloud to me and I immediately had to write it down. There's something about it that catches me, and enthralls me. Its supposed to be about the ocean, but its lustful, passionate, more like a love poem, and I understand.

I am fevered with the sunset,
I am fretful with the bay,
for the wander thirst is on me
and my soul is in Cathay.
*
There's a schooner in the offing,
with her topsails shot with fire,
and my heart has gone aboard her
for the Islands of Desire.
*
I must forth again tomorrow! 
With the sunset I must be,
hull down on the trail of rapture
in the wander of the Sea.


No comments: